Saturday 12 August 2006

Lost in translation?

Can't sleep, for a certain reason, so I decided to flood my little blog a little bit more...

When I was coming home from grocery yesterday I realised something rather interesting: I feel much more comfortable when I use English in communicating with people. And it applies even with the communication in here.
And this realisation came from little conversation I had with someone when I guided her to correct bus stop.

Now, the question is: How the heck it's more natural for me to communicate with English, which is nowhere close to my native language?
I've never been exposed to English that much so it can't explain it, our parents are purely monolingual, I'm not good with languages (if you ask from me, that is)... what explains it? Though I should also ask what explains that at least two out of three of us ('us' referring to siblings) speak English (more or less) fluently without excessive studying? Genes? Sticky brains which catch everything they can? (Not that far fetched actually.) Pure luck?

And talking of oddities... since I came back from Thailand I've had this odd feeling of not belonging here. It's nothing new, but it has never been this permanent.
This is where I've born, this is my home, but I'm not sure do I belong here.
Maybe I won't feel home before I have a need and reason to stay, no matter where it is. Maybe I'll never feel like home in anywhere as I'm an outsider by birth? (And to prove that I'm related to my sister and that we either have something wrong in our genes or upbringing: bits_2_whole proudly presents Clarity. (Second paragraph applies to this issue, but in general I'd have written all that.))

So many questions, not enough answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment