Thursday 5 October 2006

Repeat is mother of ranting

It's rather curious how personally people take the fact that I choose my company not just by intellect, but by grammatical correctness (I'm not saying it has to be perfect, as mine isn't, but you can demand some quality even from non-native speaker) - including capitalisation and punctuation. Though, if you ask from me (and why wouldn't you, this is my blog anyway) those things do correlate.
I never say to anyone that they're bad because they lack language skills, or worthless as human beings because of that. But as I see it grammatical correctness is also about respect, and, sorry to say, I don't feel very respected when one writes all lowercase, slang and doesn't use punctuation...
And experience has taught me that if one doesn't know how to write English correctly one doesn't usually possess such fluency in English which is needed to understand what I talk about.

I'm not saying I'm good in English or that my vocabulary is great, I'm just basing this on what I've heard - from people who actually can interact with my level.

I do certain question hear time to time: "Do you study philology or do you teach languages/ write for living?"
Other one is: "How your vocabulary is so good?!" (I've quite good vocabulary in Finnish, and I'm sure it explains also level of my vocabulary in English - though I still think my vocabulary is full of big, black holes.)

Well, how personally they take it? They reveal their insecurities by insulting you, and don't seem to understand that they prove my point by doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment