Wednesday 4 April 2007

Marsipanry... erm... Artisanry

My latest entry in Tales from Periphaeria made me think about the question of why I am so fond of designing monochromatic designs. Or rather: why it is so natural form for me?

As you know, I am an artisan of Textile Designing and Manufacturing, which in my case means: a texture designer and a weaver in one package (not to forget batik artist, fabric printer, dyer...). And I think that explains it...
I design textures, I design weaves and not actual embroidery designs. I design those things I was not able to actualize in woven form because they would not have been practical or would have required too advanced technology (we were well equipped, but as it was a school there was this thing called budget..).
I loved to create textures instead of playing with colours or making anything realistic. I loved to see how different same weave was woven with different colours, how the thickness of fibre affected to the texture... all that.

I was never very fond of 'free-form' woven items, for me it had to be strictly symmetric, uniform. And I loved professional technology (ie. theory of how to build a fabric/ design a good fabric/ how fabric builds up... you'd be surprised) classes... mathematics combined with creating textures... I know, I am an oddball. I was considered as one because I loved those classes most people hated - but I was good at it. It was mostly very easy for me and when it wasn't I loved the challenge. (As out teacher said: only mathematically gifted are good in this subject.)

Anyway, my point is that I have always had monochromatic mind. Even back in my teens when I desired to be a designer of knitted items I designed based on monochromatic motifs.
Which just proves that I am basically rather simple person, most people just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment