Friday 23 December 2005

Give us our daily bread

What exactly is bread? To most individuals in Western societies it seems to me something you can't live without, and something which seems to be base of a healthy diet.
Answers.com gives us this when we ask:

    A staple food made from flour or meal mixed with other dry and liquid ingredients, usually combined with a leavening agent, and kneaded, shaped into loaves, and baked.

I tell you something: You can actually live without bread - and be happy.

I'm still alive, and I haven't ate bread in 7 months because my allergy just forbids most forms of bread (I admit that occasionally I miss toasted rye bread with slightly salted salmon (we talk of "freshly salted salmon") on it). But I eat bread at this very moment... and it isn't that good I remembered it was... Kind of a disappointment, I'd say.

I think that only thing which binds me to this substance is... memories. I remember how good fresh bread smells, how good it tastes when you can have piece of bread straight from the oven... My mom likes to bake (and so do I, in fact it's one of the worst sides in my allergy... I can't bake certain things I'd like to... fortunately I live alone so I have no need to bake anything (as it's not meaningful and I'd end up eating all that stuff and that's not good for my weight or my blood sugar levels - mostly I worry about my blood sugar...)), and therefore we have got plenty of that stuff. And yes, hot and fresh bread is good, but after it...Bread is overrated. I could almost say that it's just one addiction among others. (Feel free to burn me.)

Something in this place...

For some odd reason I've difficulties to fall a sleep in here. My brains just don't know how to shut themselves down for the night. At home I can fall asleep in 5-10 minutes after I get into bed, but in here it takes more or less 30 minutes. It was same thing in summer too so it can't be season (read: darkness), stress or anything related. It has to be something in this apartment. (In fact I can't remember have I ever slept well in here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment