Thursday 23 February 2006

Memes and links

I've got Booking Through Thursday email for some time but for reason or another haven't gave my view yet. So, now it's time for two.

Collecting authors (23rd of February, 2006)

Today's questions were suggested by Cate.

  1. Are you currently collecting any authors? Why?
  2. Do you have all of their books? If not, why not?
  3. Did you buy all the books in the collection at the same time, or did you buy a book here, a book there?
  4. Have you read the whole collection? If not, why not?
  1. If we can call it collecting, yes I am. Stephen King, H.P.Lovecraft and Clive Barker mostly. Occasionally Agatha Christie or Douglas Adams. Their books just are more difficult to find from my favourite places: book sales.
    But why? I love King because his mind is as twisted as mine is - he writes like I'd like to be able to write (and he writes like my mind works).Lovecraft just is master of tentacle monsters - ok, his mind was twisted enough to write good horror. Clive Barker has interesting dark side too. Agatha Christie mainly because I love Poirot and Miss Marple, and Douglas Adams because his sense of humour was something... twisted enough to make me interested of sci-fi

  2. No, I don't. King is way too productive, you can't find Lovecraft or Barker translated (or even in English) from local bookstores. Same with Christie and Adams, only heaven knows why.
    And of course there's one major reason: money.

  3. As you may have concluded from previous answer I buy them here and there.

  4. I've read every book I've those authors - most of them several times.

Beautiful books (16th of February, 2006)

This week's question, suggested by Jeanne, is here by popular demand. Thank you, ladies!

  1. What is the most beautiful book you own?
  2. In what way is it beautiful? Is it the illustrations, the binding, a combination of these, or something else?
  3. How often do you look at it, browse through it, read it?
  1. In fact all my books are beautiful. Sometimes I find myself staring at my bookshelf (either one in bedroom or one in living room) and just adoring my books.
    But as I've to choose I'd say that one in the top of the list is Dante's Divina Commedia. Mine is facsimile of book which has originally published in 1924.

  2. As it's facsimile it's not as beautiful as original has been, but if you look it from distance it looks like having natural linen covers with black leaf ornamentations (In fact I'm not sure is that the word) and some gold to make it look effective.

  3. I've to confess that I've never ever read it, but I occasionally do fondle it... like I do with all of my books.

Linking

Finnish proverbs for all curious ones

And then some... divine cooking.

I've to say that there's a spice I don't like.

No comments:

Post a Comment