Sunday 16 September 2007

And then she lost her marbles


I still remember the day when I stumbled upon Yad Vashem's site for the first time - I was looking for Peris, because I need to know where we are from to build up my identity as no one seem to know where we come from (as far as I know my mother only knows where her father's (as some of you know I have my mother's maiden name i.e. her father's name) parents were from and that's all..) and who we are.
I typed in the surname and didn't actually expect to get any results... 'Results of search for victims whose family name is 'Peri': 61.
People who share(d) my rare surname. People, who were killed by hatred...

I have to say that I was shocked - and I am shocked. And the knowledge made me even more aggressive against all discrimination.
Nowadays... even I know now that I get hits with my surname, even I have seen those names before I cry for them because through the name they give the real face to the Shoah victims, because they give face to the hatred and ignorance of everyone killed and/or suffered from the persecution, every single person within that 9- 11 million victims (Jews, Romanis, homosexuals, disabled, communists... you know how long the list is.)

And if you believe that soul can incarnate there's something worth noticing: I have seen dreams of Holocaust as long as I can remember. I dare to say that I have had those dreams even before I even knew what Holocaust was... I became interested of Judaism before I got to know Yad Vashem and what its archives hide in them (though I have always had the curiosity towards Judaism, I just never realised that person can convert to anything - silly of me, right?)... and I don't believe in consequences.
Maybe saying this makes me crazy, maybe not. Nevertheless, I find all this intriguing. (And now you all know that I am crazy as a bus. )

No comments:

Post a Comment