Wednesday 5 July 2006

SIL related rant

Now, after swimming back home (or residency, anyway) from Tesco (it rained (to give you the picture: ~5cm in 30 minutes), rains still), and having nice warm shower (I've become shower addicted during this trip) I'd like to think aloud a bit. About my SIL.

I don't know how 'safe' it is to whine about relatives nowadays as I know they know where my blog is, though I also happen to know that their English skills aren't very good (exluding bits_2_whole and for some reason there's never anything worth ranting in her behaviour), so... Anyway, something has been bugging me for a while, but for some reason yesterday broke the camel's back.

    #anonymous IRC channel@ 11 pm GMT+7 (7 pm in GMT+3) (Nicks changed to protect the ign... innocent)

    [23:14] SIL: Is sun shining?
    [23:14] snowprincipessa: No, it isn't...
    [23:15] SIL: so, it begun to rain?
    [23:15] bits_2_whole: it's night in there.
    [23:15] snowprincipessa: Exactly.

I admit that it was about the smallest thing, but after mentioning about gazillion times before that I'm in GMT+7 and they're in GMT+3, and therefore I'm four hours ahead of them it really gets annoying...
I explain a bit:
  1. My SIL is a person who seems to think that
    1. Sun shines always in warm countries
    2. It's also almost impossible to have bad weather of any kind in warm countries (I still remember her surprise when she realised that it can actually snow in Spain...), though it happens once in a blue moon.
  2. It seems that she hasn't got the idea of time zones.
  3. Apparently she has slept every geography lesson where equator has been mentioned. Shouldn't it be common knowledge, for someone who has spent 9 years in basic education, that when going closer to equator night comes earlier? You think it'd be clear... (I wonder does she also think that nightless night is common phenomenon all over the world...)
Now, it's not lack of knowledge which bothers me, but the pure ignorance.
I'm quite sure that if someone asked about this from her she'd answer in her normal style: I don't need that knowledge, even she does. (At least if she does want to look like a person with even basic general knowledge. Though, I don't know does she. It has always seemed to me that for her knowledge, hunger of knowledge and intellect are somewhat intimidating aspects - in a woman, at least. (I'd say something about pleasing males on the expense of being yourself, but I won't.))

Really, lack of knowledge is easily cured, but ignorance, unwillingness to broaden your views and knowledge base... It seems to be chronic in those individuals who suffer from it.

Someone could say that her views are what they are because she has never been abroad. I can understand that. She has no connections to world outside Finland, she has never seen world outside Finland...and in comparison I've been travelling, not much, but more than you'd think of someone who comes from my social class, and I've seen that humans are basically the same everywhere. I also have connections to world outside Finnish borders (actually I've more connections outside the borders than inside...).
And honestly, you don't need to even go abroad to realise that no matter where you come from you're just regular Jane/ John Doe. Even there aren't that many foreigners in Finland (worth laughing: 2% of whole population) you can meet people of non-Finnish origin daily - though they (my brother's family) do live in Peasantville...

You could think that in modern times when you have tools to look out for information there wouldn't be any ignorance... Well, at least I can say I have a dream even I know I'll never see that one fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment