Sunday 27 May 2007

Sparky has a wall!


The pumpkin on the right is modified. In the pattern said pumpkin frowns and taking the base idea behind this design and the general look of it I really couldn't understand a frowning pumpkin...
So, I opened my designing software and played a bit. I like this version of The Pumpkin much better. (Notice the cat on the crock!)

In addition to stitching...

... and taking care of Her Highness my weekend contained reading one book, a book which demanded to come home with me Wednesday (when I spent time in book store while waiting HH's operation to be over) despite its price (14,90€ which is way more than I usually pay for any book) and which wanted to be read as soon as possible, even though it actually had nothing I hadn't already knew in it. The book was "Antisemitism in Finland 1918- 1946" (its slightly modified version from a thesis).
One of those books everyone should read. (It saddens me that large percentage of the noisiest anti-semites were highly educated... and notable percentage of them were priests.)

If you are as interested of little tidbits of information as I am you may find it curious that one of Nazi Germany's "allies" had Jewish soldiers (and a field synagogue) during WWII: that country is Finland.
Nazis asked Finns to surrender our Jewish population, but prime minister of that time (J.W. Rangell) answered to Heinrich Himmler's request: "Wir haben keine Judenfrage". That was only time during the whole war when this topic was discussed.

Considering the facts we all know about Europe during WWII that is a real curiosity, and only few know about it.

Link of interest:

    Jews in Finland during WWII

Stitcher reads quotes...

"It's a dangerous business going out your front door." (J.R.R. Tolkien) and stitcher adds "... - rather stay at home and stitch."

No comments:

Post a Comment