Friday 22 June 2007

Midsummer, just another weekend



Traditionally Finns drink themselves to death and drown into a closest lake with their zippers open during Midsummer celebrations... or at least drink like idiots and behave like ones too.
I really don't get it (I admit, I think I have done it once and as I was still 17 back then I have an excuse: I was young and stupid (and booze was free, advantages of being only female in a group of people *cough*)). Therefore I celebrate Midsummer working (actually I already wrote new pages needed for next launch) and stitching Leslie's dragon.

Midsummer is also one of those little oxymorons in this Christian country: it has been renamed by John the Babtist (Johannes Kastaja) to cover old pagan celebration (as it goes with everything else actually), but still the majority celebrates Juhannus in very pagan way - even though great majority of Finns are Christians.
The thing what bothers me is not their Christianity, but the fact that they aren't aware the origins of their habits and how pagan they actually are... same goes with my amusement regarding New Year's Eve and rockets.

Maybe I am just plain boring (and annoying) because I wonder about it, but I find it very curious.

No comments:

Post a Comment