Wednesday 15 August 2007

SBQ: In the Beginning There Was a Stitch


Today's

Stitching Bloggers' Question

was suggested by Jennifer and is:
How did you get started stitching? Was there a person that inspired you?
The timing od this question is curious as there is a poll on the same matter at my favourite cross stitch board (favourite meaning the board I idle in most - and as I am part of the staff... *cough*) so let me copy and paste...

"I remember doing a cat on a prestamped fabric when I was about the size of a fire extinguisher (about four, I think) which would mean that my mother has had her hand in my addiction, but I still say I am self taught (as my mother doesn't know how to stitch, which is curious).

I recently found towels I have cross stitched (on waffle cloth) as a gifts when I was 13 or 14 which means that I was actually so self taught that I never even had saw any instructions when I started. (If your mother shows something to you when you are four you won't remember it when you are 13...) I just knew how the stitches were supposed to look like.

Though the official story is that I saw Cross Stitcher with a Kipper the Dog on the cover (January 2001) and the rest is history. (The addiction got bad after I separated my now ex-husband (huzzah, three years of addiction!) - as I had much more time on my hands for some odd reason...)"

But since I started I have had many inspiring persons in my life. In addition to all my stitching friends I have a very supportive mother, I had a supportive husband (well, at least he was supportive in something *grin*), a supportive ex-lover (you guessed it right: Wolfie) and a supportive ex-FWB (I still think that N. considered watching me stitching over one as a turn on... ). (Actually I find it odd that all of the supportive men have seen the technical side of stitching and those who haven't appreciated my stitching have seen it only as a "those things women do". (Nowadays I only seem to get along with men who see the technical side of the art I create with my needle.))

No comments:

Post a Comment