Wednesday 28 September 2005

My first SBQ and bookmark finishing problems.

Yesterday I read fellow stitcher's blog and found out about SBQ. It sounded like fun, so I joined in. And here comes my first:

Stitching Blogger's Question.

   "Have you ever just quit a project while in the midst of it? (We're not referring to UFOs here, rather projects that you know that you'll never work on again.) Why? What did you do with it - throw it out, give it away, put it away?"

I have. When I first put it away I ment to finish it some day, but then I found it 2-3- years later (which was this summer) and decided that I'll never finish it because

  • Fabric in that kit was aida, and about 12 HPI.
  • It was white aida.
  • Design was way too simple to my taste
  • I don't use table runners which are 80x 30 cms.
  • Flower design. (WTH had I thought?)
When it comes to aida, it has to be at least 14 count, preferably 16 or 18. And I don't like to use aida in big projects (though I'm currently working on one big project on 14 count aida, but that is my first and my last big on aida. Period.).
When it comes to table runners I have similar principles as I have with table cloth: they have to hang down from edges of my table (120x 80cm) at least on one direction.

I have to admit that I cut stitched part off and threw it away. I've used those scraps of non-stitched part to my dye experiments, and floss is in my misc. floss' box and I use them when needed in small projects.

I'm bad person, I know.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thoughts about bookmarks.

I've been wondering how I'll finish those bookmarks I'm currently working on. I've decided winter one's finishing technique, but as I like to try different ways of finishing I want to try every possible way I can imagine.
In fact my main problem is how I'll finish spring bookmark as only nearly wise techniques seem to be in this case

  • Leave it as it is after stitching.
  • Use iron-on interfacing.
  • Buy piece of felt and stitch it to bookmark's back when doing edge's backstitching.

I've to fray it's edges, and for some reason I think it'll be good way with that. Anyway, I've to see.

Then there's other 'problem' (I think it's mainly problem to me): Maybe I'm just too PC, but I'm not sure would it be good idea to stitch whole pattern without leaving text off from it. Because it's 'peace' (שלומ) in Hebrew and I've heard enough anti-semitistic *** from people - though it seems to me that fellow stitchers are quite nice folks, and it's very much possible that I'm afraid for nothing.
I just think that alephbets are beautiful themselves and none of us can't deny that we could use some peace in this world.
And it'd be part of me in that bookmark as I do study Hebrew (Not to mention my general symbathy towards Judaism and Jewish people, or my intention to be one of them some day... ).

No comments:

Post a Comment