Tuesday 23 February 2010

2 days stitched, 19 to go


... thanks to this.

On Saturday evening I slipped on icy ground on my way from work, heard something snap in my left leg and was in tremendous pain. My co-worker called an ambulance (my first ambulance ride \o/) and I was rushed to a surgical ER close by. Preliminary diagnoses were broken ("ripped") achilles tendon or leg bone.

Hour later I was out of the hospital, with a sprained ankle, crutches, prescription for pain killers and three weeks of stitching time sick leave (paid, of course) - thank G-d I have strong bones and tendons.
The funny thing is that even it happened less than two days ago I don't need almost any pain killers and I can actually put weight on my ankle normally as long as I keep my ankle stiff and don't put the weight on my heel - otherwise all movement and weight on my ankle hurts (the injury is close to my achilles tendon based on the pain).
My old me would say something about sounding incoherent, but I know that Mr. Wonderful has been praying a lot because of my injury and I am quite prone to believe He has good relations to upstairs because the way my ankle has started healing is... not of this world.

I have once had sprained ankle before and it took several days before I was able to put weight on it and stop the pain killers (compared to today's, second day of my sick leave, "huge" dose of paracetamol: 500 mg i.e. one tablet, back then it was several times 600 mg ibuprofen). That was 20 years ago, so you could imagine that 10 year old would have started recover quicker than 30 year old... and I can tell this was worse injury than the one I had as a kid.

And anyway, anything that reduces the pain and helps rehabilitiation is good, whether it was incoherent or not. And this is good time for awkward transition to...

Madonna!

No, not *that* Madonna, but the one in the garden.

Stitching has also proved to be a great pain killer and even though I have been tediously slow (even the basic daily things take surprising amount of time with just one working leg as you have to change the way you do everything, which reduces stitching time) and had to frog over half a fruit because I had chosen wrong shade for it yesterday (I was drowsy because of the pain shock, pain killers and sleeping poorly) there is some progress! (Shocking.)

To make it fun I lack few of the colours, and most of them seem to be used on the ground and fruits (and the dress and her petticoat). Luckily 1-2-3 Stitch! does sell DMC to EU area with their regular price so my missing flosses are on their way. Yay!

There has also been one cat related accident when Masa spilled tea over the fabric... Luckily it doesn't seem to have stained the fabric as I ran to the toilet with it (ok, "ran") as soon as I could and I rinsed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment